Everything You Need to Know About Indica
This complete guide to everything you need to know about cannabis indica covers indica's origin, its growing behaviours, the most popular indica-dominant strains, and its potential therapeutic and recreational effects.
Continue reading to learn more!
The Origins of Indica
The cannabis indica plant species was first officially identified in 1785 by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, a French naturalist and biologist. His first published descriptions of indica were based on plant specimens collected from India. Lamarck noted that the indica plant had distinguishing characteristics such as a short stature and broad, bushy leaves that set it apart from the cannabis sativa plant.
Indica originates from the cold, mountainous regions of the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Tibet. The indica plant's impressive ability to grow and bloom faster than any other variety is credited to its adaptation to extreme climates and harsh growing conditions.
The Effects of Cannabis Indica
According to Medical News Today, the cannabis indica plant has a higher cannabidiol or CBD content than sativa-dominant varieties. Nevertheless, recent studies suggest it typically has a balanced CBD to THC ratio of 1:1.
Indica-dominant buds have a reputation for producing a "body high" effect associated with calmness and tranquility. Most cannabis-lovers prefer to consume indica strains to help them wind down before bedtime after a long and busy day due to its profoundly relaxing benefits. Due to its purported soothing and sedating properties, indica strains are commonly used for:
- Managing pain;
- Reducing inflammation;
- Addressing insomnia; and
- Relieving anxiety.
The “Couch Lock” Effect
In colloquial terms, couch lock is often used to illustrate the intense feeling of physical sedation where the person is rendered immobile and glued or locked to the couch. Many cannabis users link indica-dominant strains to causing the couch lock effect than sativa-dominant strains. On the contrary, there is no sufficient evidence to support this theory.
So, what causes couch lock?
An article published by the New York Times suggests that myrcene-heavy strains may be to blame for producing the couch lock effect based on the scientific experiments of American biologist Ethan Russo, who wrote the paper "Taming THC." Russo argues that specific strains may have higher sedative effects due to myrcene's potent concentration in cannabis, not because it has a higher CBD content or that it’s indica per se.
Myrcene is the most overly abundant terpene found in most of the cannabis strains you can get in dispensaries. It's also present in common plants and herbs like hops, lemongrass, and thyme. Cannabis strains with a high myrcene content give off a characteristically earthy and musky aroma that reminds you of cloves and cardamom. Highlands, Donegal, and 90's OG Kush are examples of cannabis buds with a myrcene profile.
In the cannabis community, the feelings of intense hunger following a cannabis consumption session is often referred to as the munchies. In theory, any cannabis strain can give you the munchies, but many cannabis users swear there's a higher chance of this happening when consuming an indica variety.
In an article published by Refinery29, Ginger Hultin, RD, the spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, explains that the munchies occur when THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, taps into the endocannabinoid system in the brain that controls appetite and triggers a hormone called ghrelin, which is responsible for making you hungry.
If you are consuming cannabis for its possible therapeutic benefits that do not involve intentionally boosting your appetite, we recommend filling up your tank with a satisfying meal before lighting up.
Most Popular Indica-Dominant Strains
Whether you are curious about its sought-after effects or would like to expand your taste as a cannaseur, here is a list of some of the best indica strains of all time:
- Afghani Kush - Named after its origins, Afghani is a powerful indica strain with sweet and herby flavours that leave cannabis users feeling relaxed and ecstatic. Many cannabis hybrids can trace their lineage to the Afghani indica strain.
- Blueberry - Blueberry is a well-known indica-dominant hybrid cultivated by legendary cannabis breeder DJ Short in the 1970s. Inspired by his travels throughout Central America and Southeast Asia, Blueberry was developed from Flo, an Oregon Purple Thai x Afghani hybrid, crossed with Highland Thai "Juicy Fruit." This sought-after indica hybrid is perfect for creative retreats as it stimulates the mind while relaxing the body's muscles.
- Hindu Kush - Hindu Kush is a pure indica strain from Pakistan and Afghanistan's mountainous regions. When consumed, this cannabis strain delivers a bold but beautifully sweet flavour that gives off a calm and uplifting high.
- Bubba Kush - This famous indica strain bloomed in the U.S. during the '90s; Bubba Kush is believed to be a product of crossbreeding Northern Lights with OG Kush. Its flavourful hashish quality includes a hint of sweetness. Bubba Kush is best consumed exclusively in the evening due to its tranquilizing effects.
- Wedding Cake - Offering sinfully satisfying flavours of sweet, tangy, and cake-like creaminess, this high-THC indica strain is a favourite among many cannabis lovers due to its ability to deliver a pleasurable high. The Wedding Cake strain is more popularly known as Pink Cookies in Canada.
- Kosher Kush - Originally named Jew Gold, Kosher Kush is a super strong indica strain bred straight out of Los Angeles, California. With up to 29% THC content, it is considered one of the most heavy-hitting indica strains worldwide and has bagged the HTCC Best Indica Awards from 2010 to 2012.
- Sunset Sherbert - A popular indica-dominant strain is a potent cross between the hugely popular Girl Scout Cookies and Pink Panties strains. Sunset Sherbert tickles your senses with aromas of bubblegum and berries, but don’t be fooled by its sweet, sherbert-y flavour – this dank bud boasts THC levels ranging from 21 to 26%.
Shop Smokey's Bestselling Indica-Dominant Strains
Whether you're looking for sativa, indica, or hybrids, we've got you covered! At Smokey's, we have an extensive selection of premium-quality cannabis buds, pre-rolls, and edibles ethically sourced from across the country. Enjoy your cannabis shopping experience online or in-store with Smokey's!
For detailed questions about indica, please shoot us a message. A member of the Smokey's team will get in touch with you shortly.